pring is in full swing, which means more allergens in the air. Everything is in bloom, so if you suffer from allergies, you may be miserable and dealing with hay fever. It’s not a bad time to seek immunotherapy in Los Angeles as a result. You may also want to ask a specific question when you get Los Angeles allergy immunotherapy — Can allergies lower your immune system?
Allergies and Viruses
Considering that the world is currently experiencing a serious pandemic, the question of allergies and your immune system is a fair one. You are probably worried about getting sick while battling your seasonal allergies.
Generally speaking, just because you have allergies, that doesn’t mean you will automatically become more susceptible to catching a cold, the flu or any other viruses. At the same time, your allergies can lead to a certain vulnerability. In some cases, it might be difficult to discern whether you are actually suffering from an allergy or if you have a cold. For example, allergies can cause a runny, stuffy nose, post-nasal drip and even a sore throat, which are all similar symptoms to the common cold. However, allergies are more of a chronic issue while viruses and bacterial infections are often acute.
Allergies and Your Immune System
Another factor to keep in mind is that your allergies can potentially weaken your immune system if they are not effectively treated. You should get the best allergy testing Los Angeles has to offer if you haven’t already been tested. It gives you the peace of mind in knowing what you are allergic to so you can take measures to improve your allergies and feel better.
If you don’t treat your allergies and keep them under control, you are prone to illnesses such as upper respiratory infections, sinusitis and ear infection. If your allergies are bad enough that they disrupt your sleep, then your immune system can certainly become weakened.
Living and Coping with Allergies
In addition to seeing the best allergy doctor Los Angeles has to offer, you can take steps to strengthen your immune system and live with allergies. They include the following:
- Practice good hygiene: Wash your hands with hot water and soap for at least 20 seconds and do it often. Avoid touching your face.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eat a healthy diet that is well-balanced and includes at least five or six servings of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains and low-fat dairy.
- Get enough sleep: You should aim for at least seven to nine hours of restful sleep each night to recharge, keep your energy level up and stress levels down and your immune system in top shape.
- Avoid sick people: Stay away from people who are sick and avoid touching contaminated surfaces.
- Clean up: Thoroughly clean your home and workstation on a regular basis.
- Get vaccinated: Get vaccinated against the flu and other diseases when vaccinations are available.
- Control your allergies: See your allergist when necessary and take your medications whether they are prescriptions or over-the-counter to control your allergies. You may even get allergy shots that can help even more.
If you are in Los Angeles and need an allergist, you should seek out immunotherapy in Los Angeles. Los Angeles allergy immunotherapy can start you on the road to feeling better. Allergy testing Los Angeles based with the best allergy doctor in Los Angeles can keep your allergies under control and even boost your immune system. Contact our sinus doctor in Los Angeles today!