Do you suffer specific reactions when you eat some foods? Rushes, abdominal pains, perhaps? You could be a victim of food allergy – a condition where your immune system treats a harmless food like dangerous bacteria, viruses, or other pathogens. Food allergy could also lead to deadly complications – anaphylactic shock.
Food allergy is common in children – affecting 5% of children in the US, than in adults. Many children, however, outgrow the allergies as they age.
Everyday Foods That Trigger Allergy
Almost all food allergies are as a result of;
- Nuts such as almonds, cashews et cetera
Even the tiniest presence of these foods in a diet can trigger the life-threatening symptoms in an allergic person. To find out if you or children are allergic to certain foods, go for allergy testing in Los Angeles. A Los Angeles allergy doctor will help diagnose and treat your allergy.
Food Allergy or Sensitivity?
Are you suffering from a food allergy or food sensitivity? Not sure? Well, many people often confuse the two. However, they’re quite different. Food allergy testing in Los Angeles will help know if you or your child is allergic to specific foods, or it’s just food sensitivity or food intolerance as its commonly called. The two can, however, have similar symptoms.
Food allergy is an immune system-related reaction that could affect all body organs, causing deadly health conditions. Food sensitivity, on the other hand, is less severe. It’s only characterized by the failure of the body to digest certain foods.
A common symptom of food sensitivity is digestive problems, which include abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, et cetera. Food sensitivity can be for;
- Lactose intolerance – where an individual is sensitive to the type of sugar present in dairy products
- MSG – a common food additive
- Gluten protein – a grain protein common in barley, wheat, et cetera.
Food Allergy Testing: Do You Need it?
Food allergy testing will be necessary if you or your child exhibit certain risk factors and symptoms. The risk factors include;
- History of allergy in your family
- Other allergies including eczema or hay fever
- Any other food allergy
On the other hand, food allergy symptoms may affect one or more of the following body parts;
- The skin: symptoms include itching, redness, hives, and tingling. In babies, the initial sign is often a rush.
- Digestive system: symptoms including abdominal pain swelling, itching of the tongue, and a metallic taste in your mouth.
- Respiratory system; nose, throat, and lungs with such symptoms as wheezing, nasal congestion, coughing, and difficulty in breathing
These symptoms could be as prompt as just a few minutes after exposure to allergic substances. Seek quick allergy relief in Los Angeles to avoid further complications.
During allergy testing in Los Angeles, the doctor first starts with a physical examination, questioning your symptoms. The doctor then proceeds to perform.
- The oral challenge test: where the doctor administers food suspected to be allergic, in the form of a capsule and then looks out for the possible reaction and finally administering immediate treatment. Or,
- The elimination diet: involves the elimination of all foods suspected to be causing your allergy then adding them back to your diet one by one. However, with the elimination diet, you can’t tell if it’s an allergic reaction or food sensitivity. Or,
- The Skin Prick Test: involves placing a portion of the suspected food on your skin, mostly forearm, while pricking it with a needle for some to get beneath the skin surface. A red itchy bump where the needle pricked is an indicator of a food allergy. And finally,
- The Blood Test: Involves checking for the presence of IgE antibodies in your blood. During Blood Allergy testing, the doctor takes a sample of your blood and performs the test.
Wrapping it up
Food allergies are increasingly common among children, and adults too. However, successfully managing the condition involves first identifying the real problem – if it’s a sensitivity or allergic reaction. The above information will help.
Are you seeking allergy relief in Los Angeles? Food allergy testing in Los Angeles is highly accessible. Be sure to find a good Los Angeles allergy doctor to handle your condition. Contact our sinus doctor in Los Angeles today!